20 November 2005

Depp threatens to defy smoking ban

Actor Johnny Depp, star of Pirates of the Caribbean and Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, has vowed to defy any smoking ban imposed in Britain and attacks similar enforcements in his native America. The actor, who is thought to have a home in the south of England, has cut down on his nicotine habit, but believes smokers should be allowed to quit on their own, without being alienated.

He threatens: "I'll come over and have a smoke-a-thon. They've taken that whole pretzel and stretched it into as absurd pretzel as I've ever seen. Obviously it ain't good for you, and I don't condone it or recommend it, but everyone has to find their own way out of it. The idea of bludgeoning people and telling them that if they smoke they are awful is ludicrous."

Source: Ireland Online (18 November 2005)

4 Comments:

At 20/11/05 22:07, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Johnny Depp. We should have a 'Smoke-a-thon' but all over the UK. Arrest us all, don`t pay the fines, and we all go to jail ... and have a smoke!!! The government might then realize how stupidly unworkable their ethnic cleansing attempt is.

Well done, Johnny, for coming up with that suggestion. We`re up for it.

 
At 21/11/05 20:31, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A smoke-a-thon with Johnny Depp??????Have I just died and gone to heaven????

Sorry, "shallow, pathetic girl" mode just kicked in as I'm a huge JD fan......I do apologise! Normal service will resume shortly, I promise.

re the prison reference, totally agree. Surely, the irony of providing more freedom to the convicted than to the law-abiding, tax paying gang is obvious to everyone...even Johnny and he's American.

 
At 23/11/05 18:07, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with ygl. A smoke-a-thon with Johnny Depp would be bliss. But even without the lovely Depp, a smoke-a-thon in Scotland, when the ban comes into force next year, would be a great 'two fingers up' to the anti-smoking brigade. Oh, but let's not forget to invite Johnny along.

 
At 23/11/05 19:25, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gee thanks FOREST. of all the posts I've made in recent years, I finally get my 15 minutes of fame on the magazine page for my pathetic girly droolings over Johnny Depp!

Couldn't you have picked one of my more profound and insightful posts? I'm sure I must have said something profound at some point! Eh, well, maybe not!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home